[e2e] First rule of networking: don't make end-to-end promises you

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Fri Apr 23 16:29:50 PDT 2004

Precisely right Venkata, as I said all along, TCP is not the only flow that
needs to know of reasons why it should control itself.  David's remark...

-> Congestion is a problem that is caused and cured only by
-> modulating the
-> behavior of the endpoints.   So it does indeed make sense that ALL
-> transport protocols need to be involved in congestion control.
->
supports exactly this point, because making TCP slow down does nothing for
UDP, except perhaps give it unfair advantage, especially when TCP's slowdown
is open-loop in relation to actual network-layer load.  Dropping packets is
always how router programmers must manage queues under excessive load, so
those packets should fairly come from all flows.  No flows should sacrifice
more than appropriate.  Unfortunately, TCP without ECN sacrifices too much at
the wrong times.

TCP 'congestion control' fails to address anything but avoidance of
embarrassing network collapse, as long as it's the dominant traffic.  That's
why ECN use by newer protocols is a more intelligent, long-term solution.  The
telco example supports exactly that and doesn't support relying on a
decades-old, incomplete stopgap.

Alex