[e2e] Open the floodgate

Sam Manthorpe sm at mirapoint.com
Sat Apr 24 02:51:12 PDT 2004

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Cannara wrote:
> ...but politics seems in control.  So, we're left with something called TCP
> which attempts network-layer congestion amelioration without any info from
> that layer.

This is probably a dumb question, since I've been out of networking
for quite a while, but doesn't the TCP/IP stack *have* a network-layer
congestion amerlioration mechanism: ICMP source quench.  It seemed
to me that this never got used because it was ill defined as to what
the ends should do when they receive such a message, plus VJ's congestion
avoidance algorithm eliminated its necessity for 99% of traffic.

Cheers,
-- Sam