[e2e] Does congestion control belong to The Transport Layer?

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Sun Apr 25 12:42:13 PDT 2004

Sounds good to me Marc.  Micah has good points too.  The belief that: "[packet
dropping] has nothing to do with TCP" is odd, since
router/firewall/metro/edge-system-code writers explicitly say they can slow
down traffic by dropping, because of how TCP behaves.  In other words, they
know a TCP flow's weak link, and can get more bang from dropping a TCP packet
than most others.

If, as you suggest, the network incorprated management of its own congestion,
even if only at ends, but with good information from the interior, that would
be better.  That would indeed be an example of a network "service" -- datagram
carriage with congestion management.

Protocols are simply communication languages for remote systems to use in
implementing services.  And, for people to argue about.  :]

Alex