[e2e] Open the floodgate - back to 1st principles

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Sun Apr 25 12:40:01 PDT 2004

Jon, what you say is true for a general-purpose, multi-customer network, like
the Internet or the examples you site.  But, in commercial nets, which now
must use TCP/IP because that's what comes on all the boxes, and allows
Internet/corporate-web access for browsing, there are generally few parallel
sessions running.  So quickly getting up to 100Mb/s or even 1Gb/s is important
for some applications.

An interesting version of TCP was created a few years ago at a large
data-storage-system company here -- essentially, the TCP receive window was
was reduced to Go/No-Go, and startup was modified, so the sending Unix box
would blast to its mirror at full wire rate from the get go.  ACKs would have
meaningless Window values, excepting 0, because sender and receiver had
similar processing/buffering capability.  Loss produced replacement, via
repeated ACKs.  Being LAN-based system overall made all these mods workable.
But clearly, the engineers involved found normal TCP wanting in the ability to
deliver data on high-speed links.  There are some other local examples, where
for instance, AFS on IP is similarly preferred.

Alex