[e2e] Open the floodgate - back to 1st principles

Guy T Almes almes at internet2.edu
Sun Apr 25 19:33:27 PDT 2004

David,
  A very good question.
  I will attempt an answer, but those who were active in this area about
ten years ago should chime in.
  My impression is that, at least during the early 1990s and probably since
then, there was a rule of thumb that a router should have a delay-bandwidth
worth of memory per output port.  This was understood to be friendly to TCP
in that it would allow the buffer to drain while the TCP sender recovered
itself from a stumble following the bursting of the queue.
  This was during the time when high-speed wide-area meant T3 across the
country.
  This is not adequate to achieve the purpose then intended, at least not
in what would now pass as a high-speed wide-area path.  But it does add to
router cost.  I am honestly not sure if this rule of thumb is being
remembered correctly or if router designers examine it critically.

  Regards,
        -- Guy

--On Sunday, April 25, 2004 21:44:57 -0400 "David P. Reed"