[e2e] Does congestion control belong to The TransportLayer?

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Mon Apr 26 09:25:11 PDT 2004

As Stephen says, FDX, which is really not Ethernet, but Etherent framing with
other forms of contention/flow control added, has guaranteed-delivery control
frames, as do fabric protocols, like CSIX, SPIx...  Plain old Ethernet does
indeed achieve congestion control via exponential backoff on repeated
collisions, and reliability, by resend up to the 16th collision in a row.
After that, the MAC reports "network not available" to the layer above, just
as TCP, after its 5th (or adjusted) timeout in a row will report to SMB or
whatever is above.  TCP was not the originator of flow/congestion control.

The purpose of any flow control at any layer is to match the buffering
capabilities with the responsiveness of the network piece under the influence
of the control system, to provide some reliability in the service delivered to
the next higher layer.  For Ethernet, this means a switched segment, with
micro to millisecond responsiveness.  For deep fabrics, as in metro switching
systems (that we all invisibly use), the speeds and buffering span even
broader realms.  No one claims that Ethernet/metro-fiber flow control will
make router buffering unnecessary at the network layer.

Alex