[e2e] common interface: path or node?

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Mon Apr 26 10:47:38 PDT 2004

Micah Beck wrote:

> Joe,
>

>>>This implementation strategy leads to a situation in which a widely
>>>implemented choice of forwarding protocol, in this case a particular
>
> flavor
>
>>>of IPv4, becomes expensive and disruptive to change.  Cisco is often
>
> blamed,
>
>>>but one might also blame the implementation strategy, which encourages
>>>investment in hardware, software and procedures that makes the network
>
> layer
>
>>>protocol difficult to change.
>>
>>Alternately, it is precisely the reason the Internet has become
>>ubiquitous, vs., e.g., protocols with more "fluxibility" ;-)
>

> When you say "protocols with more flexibility," you are presumably comparing
> the IP approach of adopting a generic network layer protocol as the common
> interface to the network to approaches that impose more specialized
> transport layer protocols.  Yes, that is the reason that the Internet was
> able to meet the requirements of a diverse application community, and to
> become ubiquitous.  This much is history.
>
> I am talking about the current situation, where the application community

> has grown much more diverse, and where the common network protocol, IP,  is
> under pressure to satisfy requirements that are not necessarily consistent
> with one another, and in some cases are not consistent with ubiquitous
> deployment of IP in a scalable network.  A lot of time is spent arguing over
> which modifications to IP would be effective, or would be advisable given
> the requirements of network scalability.  IP has become ubiquitous through
> flexibility - the issue I am raising is whether a network layer protocol can
> be flexible enough to continue to meet the diverse needs of the application
> community, or whether we may be reaching the limits of flexibility of a
> single network layer protocol.
 >
> In other words, is it possible that IP is a victim of its own success?  By
> making the Internet so flexible, it has encouraged the idea that application
> requirements should determine the capabilities of the network, and invited
> new communities to express their requirements.  Are these competing
> requirements now so diverse that even IP cannot satsify them all - that
> perhaps no single network layer protocol can?  If so, we must either make
> hard choices, and disappoint some communities by failing to meet their
> requirements.  Or else we must look for an implementation strategy that is
> even more flexible, one that allows for heterogeneity at the network layer
> while preserving interoperability.  Perhaps a common model of the
> intermediate node.
>
> /micah

The Internet is a successful message switching system. It is a victim
typically where messaging isn't the goal - i.e., where circuits are
desired. It certainly makes sense to continue to augment the
architecture, it's also useful to consider whether the extensions try to
make a banana out of a duck, or a more ducky duck ;-)

[FWIW, referring to extensions in generally, not necessarily IBP]

Joe