[e2e] Open the floodgate - back to 1st principles

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Tue Apr 27 07:05:25 PDT 2004

At 11:49 AM 4/26/2004, Guy T Almes wrote:
>And, in the meantime, the designed-in behavior of growing cwnd until
>something breaks does have some negative environmental impact.

You won't get any argument with me there!   If the router guys would just
stop trying to "help" by squirrelling packets away in buffers until the
burden becomes intolerable, and instead drop early, set ECN where possible,
etc. they would probably find that from their worm's eye view of the world,
it just gets better and better.

To the extent that endpoint implementers are lazy, any stacks that still
don't support ECN should be motivated by smoother and higher performance.