[e2e] ECN, RED, dropping packets, etc

vijay gill vgill at vijaygill.com
Tue Apr 27 14:46:35 PDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 03:01:19PM -0400, RJ Atkinson wrote:

> However, our experience is that most operators do not enable those
> features (unclear to me why, possible just conservative in what they
> deploy, others here might be better informed as to why).

Most core interfaces that I am familiar with run with
minimal amounts of queue buildup.

> to operate empty -- so that it can handle transients without dropping
> any packets inside the WAN core.  I have not myself seen any data
> indicating that such packet buffer is operating in any other way in
> practice.  Measured data from some WAN operator's core routers would
> likely help focus the discussion on that tangent.

well, we have a bunch of data on latency and jitter, and packetloss.
These data are make boring graphs - fairly flat, at least for the AOL
core.  We do not collect queue depth, though I have been asking
vendors to provide us with high watermarks for queue depth, so we
can catch transients as some of our customers attach to the core
at 10 gigabit/sec bandwidth links, which is the same as the backbone
links.

/vijay