[e2e] Open the floodgate - back to 1st principles

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Thu Apr 29 04:09:22 PDT 2004

At 06:52 AM 4/29/2004, Simon Leinen wrote:
> > My own research protocols take advantage of ECN on non-TCP links.
>
>You mean in non-TCP transports, or on non-IP links? Personally I think
>ECN could make much sense in connection with adaptive real-time
>transport protocols for thinks like VoIP.

non-TCP transports.

As many of you know, I have been actively campaigning against middleboxes
for years, as I see them all as having some characteristics that are "evil"
- not in the moral sense, but in the sense that they operate at the wrong
level and become points that block innovation and create perverse economic
incentives (profiting from keeping society from creating wealth).   For
example, the attempt to legislate middleboxes as the solution to child
pornography by Senator Exon many years ago was one of my actions.