[e2e] Looking for measurement hosts

Cottrell, Les cottrell at slac.stanford.edu
Sun Aug 29 10:05:15 PDT 2004

As Matt says the PingER Project has ping RTTs going back many years (to Jan 1995) between many thousands of sites.  Today there are about 35 measurements sites and over 500 remote sites (ping echo responders). Originally for High Energy Physics, increasingly this is to understand the Digital Divide so we monitor to over 100 countries. The measurements are made every 30 minutes and consist of 21 pings (11 with 100byte payload and 10 with 1000 byte payload).  For more details see http://www-iepm.slac.stanford.edu/pinger/

A second project IEPM-BW makes more intense measurements mainly between HENP, Grid and high performance network sites.  There are about 50 production hosts/sites involved. However there are only a few (measurement hosts (the ones that send the probes).

Unfortunately in both cases the hosts are production hosts and we do not control them and cannot give you accounts, only the individual site admins can do this. With today's security concerns this of course is a serious hurdle.

On the other hand we can make the historical PingER data available to you via FTP (for large amounts) or via a URL for more modest amounts, or via web services for more on demand near real-time results.

Another possibility which we would be interested in exploring would be to make make your type of measurements in the IEPM-BW project framework and make the results available to you via Web services.  Then you could retrieve the results in near real-time and run you analysis.  In this case we (or you, see below) would install your measurement engine, and the IEPM-BW infrastructure would make the measurements between the IEPM-BW sites. This way you would not need any accounts, but would rely on us to install the measurement engine. We could also explore getting you an account at SLAC (since we do have some say in the SLAC hosts) so you could install the measurement engine yourself. If and when your toolkit is ready for production, we could then install the measurements engine at other IEPM-BW measurement sites.

If you are interested please contact me.  My phone is 1-650-926-2523.