[e2e] Looking for measurement hosts

Neil Spring nspring at cs.washington.edu
Sun Aug 29 16:20:51 PDT 2004

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 01:15:02AM -0400, Charles Shen wrote:
> (Although Planetlab could be a choice, it seems to be sufficiently
> overloaded to make such measurement difficult).

PlanetLab's recently upgraded scheduler is designed to make
the number of errant java processes irrelevant.

Scriptroute on PlanetLab is designed to allow you to run
arbitrary but safe network measurement code and access
kernel-supplied timestamps through their safe raw socket
interface.

A current caveat with delay measurements on PlanetLab is
somewhat flaky clocks; a problem I do not yet correct for
within the scriptroute daemon but is being mitigated in
other ways.

I'd be happy to talk more; I may have an unreasonably high
opinion of my Scriptroute code, but I think writing off
PlanetLab is premature.

-neil