[e2e] Is this a bug with Windows TCP Stack ?

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Thu Dec 2 06:58:44 PST 2004

Craig Partridge wrote:
>>My question is, "Why does the Windows TCP stack send an RST when in FIN_WAIT_2
>
>  > ? Is this an intended behaviour ?"
>
> Apparently Windows TCP sends a RST to end certain TCP connections rather
> than have to hang around in TIME WAIT.  It is not the intended behavior.
>
> Craig

This issue was described in:
  R. Braden, "TIME-WAIT Assassination Hazards in TCP," RFC-1337,
USC/Information Sciences Institute (May 1992).

Using RSTs in a beneficial way to avoid TIME_WAITs was described in the
following paper, but requires that the sender of RSTs go into TIME_WAIT
(to compensate for the receiver leaving TIME_WAIT):

"The TIME-WAIT state in TCP and Its Effect on Busy Servers,"
     Theodore Faber, Joe Touch, and Wei Yue, Proc. Infocom '99, pp.
1573-1583.
http://www.isi.edu/touch/pubs/infocomm99/

IMO, sending a RST when connected should require that side to go into
TIME_WAIT, regardless of the reason for the RST. This was never
required, though.

Joe