[e2e] Is this a bug with Windows TCP Stack ?

Rick Jones perfgeek at mac.com
Mon Dec 6 15:13:09 PST 2004

On Monday, December 06, 2004, at 02:46PM, Bob Braden <braden at ISI.EDU> wrote:

>  *>
>  *> Is there progress afoot to update the TCP specs with a standardized mechanism to deal with the possibility of infinite time in FIN_WAIT_2?
>  *>
>  *> rick jones
>  *>
>
>Half-open connections are a feature of TCP.  You may not like the
>feature (successive generation of Unix kernel builders have hated it)
>but it is a feature.

I don't hate it at all, my ire has been directed at the folks doing the arbitrary timers.  I just think that all those arbitrary timers and other stack-by-stack junk could go away if there were a spec for the _right_ way to deal with the possibility of a perpetual FIN_WAIT_2 when the remote just drops off the face of the net.

rick jones