[e2e] Spam on this list

Zachary Amsden zamsden at cisco.com
Wed Feb 11 18:14:36 PST 2004

End2End is a spam list.  The argument that new ideas or productivity
will be lost if the list is subscriber filtered is completely bogus.
Productivity and new ideas will be lost if people get so disgusted with
the amount of spam on this list (or in the archives) that they can't
communicate effectively.  This used to be a great place to exchange ideas.

Simply send a message asking the sender to subscribe or queue it for
moderator approval.  Subscribing requires a valid return address, which
most spammers do not have.  Anyone with a valid return address that
posts spam can be reported and their account shut down.    Yes, this can
still be abused.  Why would spammers waste their time to reach a
technical audience that already hates spam when they can snow AOLers all
day?

90% of the traffic on this list is either spam or people complaining
about spam.  Yes, I have client side spam filtering.  It doesn't help
with this list at all, and I can't be bothered to waste my time fine
tuning spam filters.  If anyone has a sane reason why this list should
not be restricted to subscribers, please answer.  Every single other
mailing list I am on is subscriber filtered or spam filtered and
generates 0% spam to my inbox.

Zachary Amsden
zamsden at cisco.com