[e2e] "PMTUD using options" draft

Michael Welzl michael.welzl at uibk.ac.at
Thu Feb 12 07:49:32 PST 2004

Dear Ran,

I don't know much about routers - I can only replicate
what I've been told. I apologize for my claim, as I
remember that you said this before - if you look
at the web page, you will see that this:

Packets with IP options are known to be processed in the so-called "slow
path",

has just changed into this:

Packets with IP options are said to be processed in the so-called "slow
path" by some routers,

:)

The point of the web page + measurements is:

Some things may really make sense as an IP option, but
you usually can't propose them in the IETF because a
number of people tell you that this is unrealistic
because of slow path processing, which makes everything
at least 700 times slower.

No proof, no numbers, no measurements.

The idea was just to change that. If I know that IP
options typically lead to an approximate additional
delay of about 7%, I may be able to judge wheter a
proposal based on IP options makes sense or not.

I mean, I can't measure everything ... for instance,
what if I flood a router with packets carrying options?
Will the result be the same?

Still, I think that the measurements can at least
give you a rough idea of the order of magnitude,
which is better than nothing.

Best regards,
Michael

--