[e2e] "PMTUD using options" draft

Sneha Kumar Kasera kasera at cs.utah.edu
Thu Feb 12 08:46:10 PST 2004

Hi,

I ran several experiments using IP packets with options in the mid 90's
and observed considerable and unpredictable difference in the round trip
delays of IP packets with and without IP options.

Even today after seeing this email and hoping that things might have
changed, I tried " ping" and "ping -R" (the -R  is for the IP record
route option) to some nodes several hops away and found significant
difference in the round trip delays.

Here is a sample:

xxx.yyy.zzz is a university in the US (15 hops away)
ping -s xxx.yyy.zzz
round-trip (ms)  min/avg/max = 60/60/61

ping -s -R xxx.yyy.zzz
round-trip (ms)  min/avg/max = 109/156/211

xxx.yyy.zzz is a company in Europe (17 hops away)
ping -s xxx.yyy.zzz
round-trip (ms)  min/avg/max = 156/156/157

ping -s -R xxx.yyy.zzz
round-trip (ms)  min/avg/max = 181/260/401

Any comments?

Sneha

--
Sneha Kumar Kasera