[e2e] "PMTUD using options" draft

Sneha Kumar Kasera kasera at cs.utah.edu
Thu Feb 12 09:36:14 PST 2004

I had looked at this paper (and enjoyed reading it) some time ago and
this is what I had  observed then.

The proposed scheme aims to find the delay in generating ICMP Time
Exceeded messages (used in traceroute and pathchar) in the slow path of
a router. ICMP Time Exceeded delay is obtained by taking the median of
the difference of the slow path delay and an estimated fast path delay
(instead of min filtering). The paper finds that that this median delay
in generating ICMP Time Exceeded message is in the sub millisecond range
and concludes that tools that use ICMP Time Exceeded messages can be
accurately used to measure network behavior.

In my opinion, saying that 50 percentile of the ICMP Time Exceeded
messages were generated in less than a millisecond is not good enough.
In fact I would be more interested in the higher percentiles or at least
the variability from the median. I think the variability would capture
the queuing delay in the slow path. Unless it is shown that variability
from the median is low or a very high percentile of ICMP Time Exceeded
messages were generated in less than a millisecond, I don't think one
could conclude that queuing delays in the fast path can be measured from
slow path data.

Sneha