AW: [e2e] "PMTUD using options" draft

Michael Welzl michael.welzl at uibk.ac.at
Fri Feb 13 00:14:39 PST 2004

> At 08:06 PM 2/12/2004, Christian Huitema wrote:
> >But as Lloyd points out, there are quite a few routers
>
> Why make these arguments based on hunches when one can measure this
> empirically?

this is what i'm doing   :)

let me also add a comment from Christian to this mail:

> If you use an IP option and there is an ancient router on the path, that
> router will become your bottleneck, and your performances will be
> terrible. Thus it is only safe to use options when all routers have been
> replaced. In short, we have a classic "boil the ocean" scenario. We have

My measurements indicate that "terrible", "only safe to use ... when ..."
is an exaggeration.

While I'm glad that I managed to start an actual technical
discussion in a list that surely needed it   :)    ... it
would be great if some of you would comment on the draft -
once again, it's:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-welzl-pmtud-options-01.txt

It's an experimental proposal to use options in very special scenarios only.

Cheers,
Michael

PS: I may not be able to reply until Monday - sorry    :(