[e2e] new mailing list policy in effect

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat Feb 21 01:12:01 PST 2004

there's an interesting analogy in what has happened to e-mail and lists and bboards after we piecemeal deploy
anti-spam measures, and what has happened to the internet after we piecemeal deploy anti-dos measures - nats,
firewalls, and other local-view only measures to remove locally perceived threats, and spam filters, balkanize
connectivity at the service and information layers respectively, and both do potentially as much damage as good  -
we need to design some mechanism (in the mechanism-design sense) to make sure people have incentives to align their
filters to maintain end2end-ness - i have no idea how to do this - it seems like the hardest challenge in the
Internet today is to create distributed systems that tend towards maintaining end-to-end transparency despite a
background distributed threat.....

In missive <20040220232638.GA30439 at lcs.mit.edu>, "David G. Andersen" typed:

 >>On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 02:00:49PM -0800, Joe Touch scribed:
 >>> I am looking into that. It will likely be manual.

 >>A manually pruned version of the list archives can be found at:
 >>
 >>  http://eep.lcs.mit.edu/end2end-interest.mbox.gz
 >>
 >>Anyone's welcome to it.  It's not completely up to date -
 >>I took the snapshot a while ago, but it's reasonably
 >>decent.
 >>
 >>  -Dave
 >>
 >>--
 >>work: dga at lcs.mit.edu                          me:  dga at pobox.com