[e2e] A implementation question on TFRC algorithm

Phelan, Tom tphelan at sonusnet.com
Wed Jul 7 06:22:01 PDT 2004

Hi Heejune,

The DCCP implementation of TFRC (CCID3, see draft-ietf-dccp-ccid3-05.txt) uses a "window counter", sent with each packet.  It's a four-bit counter that's increased once each quarter-RTT.  So the receiver interprets each increase of four in the counter value (with wrap) as a round trip time.

It's actually a little more complicated than the above explanation, so see the draft if you need the details.

Tom Phelan