[Tsvwg] Re: [e2e] Are you interested in TOEs and related issues

H.K. Jerry Chu Jerry.Chu at eng.sun.com
Thu Mar 4 23:11:36 PST 2004

><SNIP>
>> >The gains are by optimizing data movement and not by
>> >    offloading protocol processing.
>>
>> LSO is a 'stateless' offload (much like checksum offload) so one doesn't
>> need a TOE to support it;
>
>It depends. If the kernel does a write based on open window, then yes
>you are right. But if you have full TOE and you pass large chunks of
>data to TOE (does wonder when sendfile/sendfilev is in play) and let
>TOE figure out when to send it, the gains increase. In the later case,
>TOE needs teh TCP state.
>
>> most modern NICs (including our 10GbE Adapter) do LSO. Also, for normal
>> frames LSO has quite dramatic effect at 10GbE rates, but for Jumbo
>> frames performance gain diminishes to ~7%.

One fundamental performance problem high speed Ethernet imposes on
the hosts is from the tiny size of the standard Ethernet frames.
It's almost like throwing ATM cells at the host 10 years ago but
without any hardware adaptation.

LSO and ack coalescing are the adpatation layer for Ethernet cells.
They can help to alleviate this problem but unfortunately they either
induce, or live on traffic bursts. (Just imagine how useful LSO will
be if the ack-every-other-pkt policy provides only 2-MSS worth of
usable window, and how much back-to-back bursts will be caused by
coaliscing many acks.)

Bursty traffic may be ok for LAN, but is considered evil for WAN.
TOE doesn't suffer this problem (since it is stateful), and may be
a necessary evil until jumbo frames become universal.

Jerry