[Tsvwg] Re: [tcpm] Re: [e2e] Are you interested in TOEs and related issues (Resend)

Rick Jones raj at cup.hp.com
Mon Mar 8 12:16:56 PST 2004

Barney Wolff wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 10:26:55AM -0800, Rick Jones wrote:
> >
> > Pinky TOE => Checksum Offload (CKO)
> > Middle TOE => CKO + LSO (aka TSO or large send)
> > Big TOE => Full TCP Offload
>
> You forgot these:
>
> Stubbed TOE => disabling TOE so tcpdump/snoop works
> Broken TOE  => bug in firmware, difficult to diagnose

Yes, well... if we are going for full humour (actually, I wasn't just trying to
be funny but still... :)

TOE jam => the kruft of a TOE solution
Hammer TOE => one where the offload is to an embedded CPU
TOE nail => when offloaded security/hardening is included
Athlete's Foot => when a TOE becomes security compromised
Tip TOE => when it operates in a stealth mode
Foot => what you have when more than one TOE are bonded together.
TOE shoes => the shims interfacing a TOE with the rest of the system/stack.

I suppose that had development of the Digital 2114X chips continued, one might
have spoken of a Tip TOE through the Tulips.

ad nauseum :)

rick jones
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com  but NOT BOTH...