[Tsvwg] Re: [e2e] Are you interested in TOEs and related issues

Craig Partridge craig at bbn.com
Mon Mar 8 16:07:32 PST 2004

In message <200403090046.15061.zec at tel.fer.hr>, Marko Zec writes:

>Isn't the TCP's ultimate performance goal precisely the maintenance of
>the equilibrium D(w) = w in the bottleneck queue?

No, TCP's goal is to equal the lesser of A or D (whatever they are).

>All I was trying to point out in my prior posts is that precisely in
>such a situation bursty traffic will present a big failure.

Right, but bursts only matter if they cause a queue to build up in a router.
Putting a burst on a wire doesn't mean a queue in the router -- it depends
on the speed of the routers inputs and outputs.

Putting this another way, TCP causes a queue in the bottleneck router (the
spot where A > D).

Craig