[e2e] Bursty traffic and TCP flows (was: TOEs and related issues)

Marko Zec zec at tel.fer.hr
Tue Mar 9 08:50:38 PST 2004

On Tuesday 09 March 2004 14:36, RJ Atkinson wrote:
> I've trimmed cross-posting a lot in this note.
>
> The thread so far has made numerous assumptions (e.g. small packets
> consume as much buffer space as big packets in real routers) about
> how modern switches/routers are designed.   The validity of many
> of those assumptions is not obvious to me.
>
> So from where I sit, this thread has long since devolved into
> pretty theoretical territory ("if people were silly enough
> to build their routers in a certain way, and the following
> unusual event occurs, then on certain days of the week this
> bad event might happen...").
>
> It might make sense for the folks interested in this thread
> to actually pull back a bit, consider how actual shipping
> switches/routers are built, and restart from there.

I must admit I was silly enough once upon the time when I was employed
by IBM as a field engineer, until Cisco cashed out IBM to shut down its
networking business back in autumn 1999. All of the IBM's IP routers at
that time were built in such a silly way that their buffers were
measured / limited in terms of number of packets. I guess there are
still some silly MIT people on this list who designed precisely those
IBM (ex. Proteon) routers, so perhaps we could hear a comment or two on
those silly design decisions from the first hand. Furthermore, I guess
most of the today's Cisco routers are also suffering from the similar
silly (mis)design problem...

Regarding the other statement that implies on how unusual it must be for
a TCP flow to build up a queue on a bottleneck link / router, I'd
rather not comment...

> Oh, and the subject line probably needs updating, since how one
> builds a switch/router is farther divorced from the questions
> of whether TOEs make technical/economic sense than some folks
> here might believe.[1]

Agreed,

Marko