[Tsvwg] Re: [tcpm] Re: [e2e] Are you interested in TOEs and related issues(Resend)

Rick Jones raj at cup.hp.com
Thu Mar 11 10:49:10 PST 2004

> Yes, that was one of the first thoughts that came to my mind when I
> started looking at this space. Its not just security issues but bugs and
> new features. TCP despite being mature still sees couple of RFC or tweaks
> a year that needs to be rolled out to existing systems. Apparantly the
> TOE vendors had thought about that. The firmware running the protocol code
> actually lives on the host and is delivered via exisiting delivery
> mechanism (packages in Solaris which can be upgraded). When machine boots
> and interface is configured, the protocol firmware is sucked in. So
> delivering fix or new revs in pretty similar to exisiting mechanisms.
> Also, the source code is still 'C' based so people like me can still
> work with it (just need to use some magic in the end to create the
> firmware instead of complier). Some vendors we talked to have promised
> that they can pretty much suck in the same code that runs on the host
> into the card (as long as we can clean some complier specific directives
> etc). Although I must admit that this aspect (common source files) of TOE
> has not been investigated by us at all so far.

That seems like a path out when the TOE is based on an embedded CPU, but doesn't
seem like it would work for those TOEs that are ASICs.

And a mostly rhetorical question - strictly in the context of TCP comms and not
RDMA and the like - if one can code tightly enough for an embedded CPU a TCP/IP
stack including comms with the host across the I/O bus with enough performance
to be reasonable for a given link, can't one presumeably make the host's TCP/IP
stack similarly efficient?  If nothing else that seems to be alluded to by the
last sentence in the quoted paragraph.

rick jones
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com  but NOT BOTH...