[e2e] Internet packet dynamics

David G. Andersen dga at lcs.mit.edu
Fri Mar 12 18:44:20 PST 2004

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 04:46:27PM -0800, Sam Liang scribed:

>   Vern Paxson's excellent Sigcomm 97 paper, "End-to-End Internet Packet
> Dynamics", told us a lot about the Internet traffic characteristics. But
> seven years have passed. The Internet has changed a lot. In particular, the
> packet loss rate has dropped a lot. But it's not zero.  Are there any
> recent work that study the current Internet traffic patterns,
> such as packet loss rates?

 Quite a few.  You can get some packte loss numbers in a more
recent IMC paper of mine, and I'm sure there are numerous
other sources:

  http://nms.lcs.mit.edu/papers/bestpath-imc2003.html

  As you assume, the loss rate we observed in 2002-ish is much lower
than observed by Paxson97.  The e2e loss numbers we observed
in the 2001 RON study were also quite a bit lower than those
that Paxson saw.  Those 5 years were a pretty good period for
internet bandwidth growth and technological improvement.

  -Dave

work: dga at lcs.mit.edu                          me:  dga at pobox.com
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/