[e2e] Internet packet dynamics

=?gb2312?q?Jing=20Shen?= jshen_cad at yahoo.com.cn
Tue Mar 16 17:42:09 PST 2004

>From viewpoint of e2e QoS, IMHO, other than its
current co-existing method voice will not be modulated
in the same DSL channel which is only used for data
transfering.  The reason is,  current method
guarantees a higher QoS level than packtizing
everything at subscriber's PC and transfering with
packets of a movie.

Considering packetizer at IP network edge, as VoIP
does not require a delay jitter of zero and Erlan
equation reflects the statistical characteristics in
PSTN,  the amount of processing ability & uplink
bandwidth for a Gatekeeper could be calculated easily
if a special amount of subscriber is considered.

On othe contrary, it seems backbone network needs more
intellegence if overprovisioning level is not high
enough. To my understanding DiffServ devides a
best-effort IP backbone to several colocating logical
IP networks who uses the same QoS & routing mechanism
as BE networks.

Jing Shen

--- "David P. Reed" <dpreed at reed.com> µÄÕýÎÄ£º> At