[e2e] where to put endpoint authentication?

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Mon May 10 11:09:15 PDT 2004

marcelo bagnulo wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> Have you considered the work being done in HIP about providing cryptographic
> based endpoint identifiers? Perhaps this could provide some useful tools for
> this...
>
> Regards, marcelo

Hi, Marcelo (et al.),

HIP (IMO) appears similar to IPsec in the protection it provides (i.e.,
network layer), and is very similar to IPsec tunnel mode in how endpoint
ID is somewhat decoupled from forwarding ID (like E2E tunnels, the
endpoint needs to 'route' based on these endpoint IDs, though).

Joe