[e2e] was double blind, now reproduceable results

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Wed May 26 13:51:13 PDT 2004

David P. Reed wrote:

>>> If the issue is prevarication, anonymizing protects the prevaricator.
>>

>> If there exists an anonymization that doesn't kill the experiment,
>> sure. But that presumes:
>>         a) such anonymization exists for that experiment
>>         b) the data source is comfortable with the anonymization
>>
>> Neither necessarily applies.
>
> Prevaricators (liars and fraudsters) are not normally considered good
> actor(YMMV!).   Hence I don't understand why you brought up data source
> comfort as a relevant presumption.   The prevaricator is protected in
> his bad actions whatever the data source's comfort.
>
> I will use the simpler word liar in the future to prevent such confusion.

Liars cannot lie about an experiment you run - this is how SETI at home
protects its results database. It computes something that users can't
forge to make sure the results - and thus how much individuals
contribute - aren't faked.

I.e., if my experiment on your fraudulent data is consistent with the
anonymized data, I can't tell that you're a liar. Hopefully that's not
the general case, though.

Joe