[e2e] Internet path dynamics

Jing Shen jshen_cad at yahoo.com.cn
Tue Nov 2 03:29:24 PST 2004

If OSPF-ECMP or similar technique is used, you could
find route swan between routers between packets.
I met such thing when trying to traceroute to a
Japanese server.

Sometimes route table analysis may not be adquate
because even packet flow through the same router the
address it shows may be different ( PBR or load
balancing configurations).

regards

jing shen

http://www.icir.org/vern/papers/constancy-IMW01.ps.gz