[e2e] topological locality of Internet communication?

Lars Eggert lars.eggert at netlab.nec.de
Thu Nov 4 13:21:03 PST 2004

Hi,

since we were just talking about Internet statistics:

I'm looking to get a feel of how much topological locality Internet
communication exhibits, to calibrate some simulations we plan to run.

Is anyone aware of measurements of how many "AS hops" typical
connections cross in the Internet? Ideal would be a CDF of "AS hops
crossed" for connection percentages.

(I thought about looking at the TTLs of incoming TCP packets at servers,
infering the OS based on TCP characteristics like nmap and using this to
guess the default outbound TTL for that OS. But that yields IP hops, not
AS hops.)

Thanks,
Lars
--
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories