[e2e] QBONE abandon QoS research ?

RJ Atkinson rja at extremenetworks.com
Fri Nov 5 05:46:30 PST 2004

On Nov 5, 2004, at 05:45, Jing Shen wrote:
> 2. How could QBONE be kept no congestion ? inside
> China, the bandwidth needed increase so quick that
> backbone BW or BW between ISPS need to  be negotiated
> one or more times a year.

In North America between 1995 and 2000, it was not unusual for
the larger ISPs to upgrade bandwidth capacity 2 or more times
per year to keep up with the increase in offered load.  Sometimes
a little traffic engineering was needed here and there to buy time,
but the main strategy was just to upgrade bandwidth capacity very
frequently.  This is one of the reasons that several firms spent big
money building out additional US long-distance fibre networks during
the 1990s, and then leasing or selling (IRU) portions of those fibre
networks to various ISPs or telephone companies.

Given where China is today in its Internet growth curve, I would guess
that ISPs in China will need to continue to upgrade 2-3 times per year
for the next few years.

Ran
rja at extremenetworks.com