[e2e] QBONE abandon QoS research ?

Olivier Bonaventure Bonaventure at info.ucl.ac.be
Sun Nov 7 13:22:59 PST 2004

Jing,

> To my knowledge, some new ISP establish QoS enabled
> service around but some old ISP still overprovision
> their backbone. QBONE could be the first testbed for
> QoS across WAN. But, words on their homepage
> (http://qbone.internet2.edu) seem to indicate they
> give up QoS at all while they try to find something
> like "less than best effort".
>
> My questions:
>
> 1. Is there any  summary report/paper on their
> experience with DiffServ+MPLS based QoS? Have they
> summarized the result of implementing WRED (or similar
> technique) in QBONE?

Research networks like I2 or GEANT in Europe are often overprovisionned
and do not necessarily need QoS.Furthermore, their customers usually do
not pay directly and there is no strict incentive for stringent SLAs.
Commercial ISPs have stringent QoS needs. See :

@Article{Filsfils_Engineering:2002,
  author = 	 {C. Filsfils and J. Evans},
  title = 	 {Engineering a multiservice IP backbone to support tight
SLAs },
  journal = 	 {Computer Networks },
  year = 	 2002,
  volume =	 40,