[e2e] topological locality of Internet communication?

Dmitri Krioukov dima at krioukov.net
Wed Nov 24 18:40:46 PST 2004

lars,

although not precisely what you're looking for,
but the AS hop length distributions (or simply
distance distributions) derived from BGP and
*traceroute* data are not drastically different:
http://www.caida.org/analysis/topology/as_topo_comparisons/master.xml
(the associated text is in
http://www.caid.org/~dima/pub/ccr-ivs_as-topo-comparisons.pdf ).

also note that the average distance from ASs
of degree-k exhibits *very slow* power-law
decrease with k.

finally, check this paper:
http://arxiv.org/abs/cs/0411051

the above observations suggest that the AS hop length
distribution in the "average host communication
pattern" is unlikely to differ drastically from
the distance distribution in the whole AS graph.
--
dima.
http://www.caida.org/~dima/