[e2e] T/TCP usage

Lars Eggert lars.eggert at netlab.nec.de
Sat Oct 2 02:45:22 PDT 2004

John Kristoff wrote:
> After reviewing some of the Internet's protocol designs this afternoon,
> I was making my way through T/TCP and I began to think about some of the
> potential DoS vectors it could introduce.  Apparently the potential for
> problems are well known.  For example:
>
>   <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/br260/doc/ettcp.pdf>
>
> I'm curious if T/TCP is actively in use or currently enabled by default
> in any stack.  Though I suspect only the latter would be true for very
> specific turnkey systems or applications.

It's still in the FreeBSD code but disabled by default, and enabling it
is incompatible with a number of other TCP extensions that are also in
the code (I think SYN cookies was one.)

The benefits of enabling it are low, because there don't seem to be any
applications today that use the required socket API extensions.

I used it as part of the Ensemble-TCP work at ISI, and still think it's
a nice idea that with a little work could fit well into modern TCP stacks.

Lars
--
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories