[e2e] Default rwin values

Janardhan Iyengar iyengar at mail.eecis.udel.edu
Fri Oct 8 12:53:22 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I am trying to find citable sources for default rwin values on different
OSes. From what I've found, defaults of 8KB and 16KB are not as uncommon
as I thought they were. So,

1. Can someone tell me current defaults on different OSes? (Maybe a
citable source even?)

2. If default rwin values in use are indeed as low as 8 or 16KB, why is
that so? Is it sufficient for the most part to have a 16KB rwin? Is kernel
memory that hard to come by in times when system memory of 1/2 GB is not
unreasonable?

thanks!
jana