[e2e] Default rwin values

Mark Claypool claypool at cs.wpi.edu
Fri Oct 8 14:41:04 PDT 2004

 > I am trying to find citable sources for default rwin values on different
 > OSes. From what I've found, defaults of 8KB and 16KB are not as uncommon
 > as I thought they were. So,
 >
 > 1. Can someone tell me current defaults on different OSes? (Maybe a
 > citable source even?)

We looked into this last year for our QFind paper (ref below).

Recent versions of Microsoft Windows as well as Linux support TCP
window scaling (RFC 1323), allowing the receiver advertised window to
grow up to 1 Gbyte.  For actual TCP receiver window settings, Windows
98 has a default of 8192 bytes, Windows 2000 has a default of 17520
bytes, Linux has a default of 65535 bytes, and Windows XP may have a
window size of 17520, but it also has a mostly undocumented ability to
scale the receiver window size dynamically.

Hope this helps!

Mark

 Mark Claypool        CS Associate Professor        claypool at cs.wpi.edu
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute   http://www.cs.wpi.edu/~claypool/

Mark Claypool, Robert Kinicki, Mingzhe Li, James Nichols, and Huahui
Wu. Inferring Queue Sizes in Access Networks by Active Measurement, In
Proceedings of the 5th Passive and Active Measurement Workshop (PAM),
Antibes Juan-les-Pins, France, April 2004. Online at:
http://www.cs.wpi.edu/~claypool/papers/qfind/