[e2e] Question on TCP throughput and host's access speed

Fu Cheng Peng, Franklin ASCPFu at ntu.edu.sg
Thu Oct 14 05:34:27 PDT 2004

This is interested issue. Basically, the uplink speed of ADSL is quite lower than the down link speed.  Therefore, intuitively it should be quite slower than the fiber link if all other considtions are same. You may need double check where is the actual bottleneck of actual bandwidth.  Perhaps you can check by uploading a file to your client being attached to the fiber link from ADSL client, and vice versa.

Another reason may be due to the asymmetry of data path and acks path.

-Franklin

Dr. Fu Cheng Peng, Franklin
Asst Professor
School of Computer Engineering
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore 639798
Tel: (65) 6790-4287 Fax: (65) 6792-6559
www.ntu.edu.sg/home/ascpfu