[e2e] Question on TCP throughput and host's access speed

Yunhong Gu1 ygu1 at cs.uic.edu
Fri Oct 15 13:23:59 PDT 2004

> But, what makes me confused is : if TCP modifies its
> sending window according to ACK received,and
> bottleneck link would not distinguish between ADSL
> subscribers and Fiber  link subscribers, no matter how
> asymetric is routing path or how much difference
> between access line,  TCP on both end should behave
> similar (?). Why there exist so much difference ?

Jing,

I think you can do some UDP benchmark testing along the links, since they
are reserved by you or your lab. It is very likely that there are some
problems in the fibre link.

In addition, TCP's performance can also be affected by the buffer size in
the routers. This could be one of the reasons of the different
throughputs.

Yunhong