[e2e] Network level qos support for web services

Lars Eggert lars.eggert at netlab.nec.de
Sun Oct 17 00:43:27 PDT 2004

David P. Reed wrote:
> Syed Hasan wrote:
>
>> So does we need to tune diffserv for web services? If not then what is
>> the
>> solution for a company which wants better service for its critical web
>> services?
>>
> Faisal - since actual "service quality" has very little to do with what
> the protocol community calls "QoS", it is my opinion that web services
> should look elsewhere than diffserv to obtain their service quality.

I agree. A number of year back, we showed that - depending on where your
bottleneck resource is - you can often do effective "diffserv" at the
application layer, i.e., inside a web server.

Application-Level Differentiated Services for Web Servers. Lars Eggert
and John Heidemann. World Wide Web Journal, Vol, 3, Issue 2, 1999, pp.
133-142. http://www.larseggert.de/papers/app-lvl-diff-serv.pdf

Lars
--
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories