[e2e] Network level qos support for web services

Stephen Suryaputra ssuryaputra at HatterasNetworks.com
Fri Oct 22 17:11:30 PDT 2004

Hi,

Is there any latency requirements for transactions? I assume that web services are
mainly for that, not that I know anything about web services. Pardon if I made a
wrong assessment.

Cheers,

	-----Original Message-----
	From: end2end-interest-bounces at postel.org on behalf of Syed Hasan
	Sent: Sat 10/16/2004 12:16 AM
	To: end-to-end list
	Subject: [e2e] Network level qos support for web services

	Dear all,

	QoS is an important issue for web services. The Internet still provides
	best effort service. Without qos support from the network (Internet)how
	web servicescan provide qos?

	Differentiated services (Diffserv) has been proved successful in providing
	better than best effor services in some large private networks. Although
	it is still unknown how it will deliver the same in the global Internet.
	For its successful large scale deployment in the global Internet diffserv
	research community will have to invent some mechanisms which will attract
	the companies that rely on the Internet for their critical business
	operation. With companies more and more doing business on the web, now
	comes the question of how diffserv can give better performance for their
	web services ?

	>From the beginning diffserv mechanisms (tagging, policing, scheduling)
	have been designed for long lived tcp flows like voice, video etc. How
	much diffserv is suited for short web traffic (flows that are less than
	10KB)? How much a company which wants to reduce response tome for its web
	services can rely on diffserv?

	So does we need to tune diffserv for web services? If not then what is the
	solution for a company which wants better service for its critical web
	services?

	Faisal