[e2e] Performance factors of TCP Equation Model

Chua Hong Nung chuahn_2 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 10 06:17:46 PDT 2004

Factors of TCP Equation Model

Hi,
Firstly sorry my English is not good, but I have an unresolved problem which
need
an answer.

TCP Equation Model of Padhye et al. is a function of RTT, RTO, loss rate and
MSS.
Since most researcher substitute RTO with 4RTT, the only parameters
determine
estimated throughputs are RTT and loss rate.

I have been thinking these two scenarios for quite a long time, but still
unresolved.

Scenario 1:
Bottleneck 400Kbps
Share between 3 TCP flows and a TCP-Friendly Protocol flow.
Ideally, fair bandwidth share is 100Kbps for each flow.
Routers’ queue sizes are set to bandwidth delay product.
Minimum RTT for TCP-Friendly flow is 44ms.
Sources-------------Router----------------------Router----------------------Sinks
              1ms                          20ms                         1ms

Scenario 2:
Bottleneck 1Mbps
Share between 9 TCP flows and a TCP-Friendly Protocol flow.
Ideally, fair bandwidth share is 100Kbps for each flow.
Routers’ queue sizes are set to bandwidth delay product.
Minimum RTT for TCP-Friendly flow is 24ms.
              1ms                          10ms                        1ms

If the TCP-Friendly Protocol flows in both scenarios employ the same model
(Padhye et
al.), with different RTT how they will eventually achieve the ideal
bandwidth share, i.e.
100Kbps. I can’t see loss rate can do that.

Thank you

Chua