[e2e] a few questions on TCP mechanism

Zaphod Beeblebrox label_label_label_label at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 12 03:54:53 PDT 2004

Hi,

I have the following scenario:

Source-------><nodes>----->destination
^                              |
|                              |
 -------------feedback---------

Packet flows from source to destination via the
intermediate nodes. There are multiple sources and
destinations in the network flowing over multiple
nodes.
The flow of each packet can be said to be an set of
<source,destination,intermediate nodes>

The intermediate nodes may not have sufficient
bandwidth to cater to intermediate nodes.
Flows may have overlapping intermediate nodes.

So I wish to find a way to make the data flow faster
and faster and faster and faster and.. even faster.

Given that the feedback/rate of delivery can only be
measured when the packets reach the end point,
a. is it possible to have a steady state system where
all flows get the amount of bandwidth they need, and
yet all the sources are at a maximum value?
In other words if there are 20 such flows and the
network capacity is K, each should get K/20.
Is this possible?
b. If the only source of feedback is the destination
point, how is it possible for me to:
1. adjust my window size in T < RTT
2. and even if I do 1, the mechanism must be to adjust
it in such a way that other contending sources also
adjust it accordingly to reach
capacity/number_of_flows.

I know most people on this list would point me to some
excellent research papers, but if there are solutions
that work, why have they not been implemented? Or do I
come to the conclusion that this is the best we have?

-ZB