[e2e] Clarification needed on delayed acks and sliding window protocol

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Fri Sep 24 15:51:18 PDT 2004

dissolved wrote:

> Hello.  I was hoping someone could clarify a few things for me regarding
> some TCP algorithms. I’ve read TCP/IP illustrated VOL1 5 times and still
> cant find the answer.
>
> 1. The nagle algorithm is mostly used on interactive sessions. Which
> means, we wont see it on stuff like FTP transfers.  What we WILL see,
> while using FTP transfers, is TCP’s sliding window protocol. Am I right
> so far?

That depends on what you mean by interactive.

Nagle should be NOT be used on interactive sessions where the
interaction involves multi-byte exchanges. There is the danger of
splitting the 'message' units across packets and incurring unnecessary
delays.

While Nagle should be ON for telnet and bulk transfer, it should be OFF
for multi-byte message exchanges, e.g., HTTP.

---

Some of the rest of the questions I'll address off-line, since they're
probably common knowledge for most on ths list.

Joe