[e2e] 911 and cell phones

Henning Schulzrinne hgs at cs.columbia.edu
Fri Apr 1 07:45:43 PST 2005

None of the active participants in the IETF is arguing for a ten-year
plan; I think everyone involved would be happy to ditch the existing
system tomorrow - and certainly keep people from spending gobs of money
on patching it. Limitations of available public funding, industry
structures (and, in some cases, lack of technical skills in PSAPs) make
a slow deployment likely. It's obviously more fun to write jeremiads
about the IETF than deal with the complicated reality of large deployed,
safety-critical systems.