[e2e] TFRC vs UDP

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Fri Apr 1 21:13:24 PST 2005

The problem with all of these "The transport does what the network should do"
bandaids is that they're just that.  Combine dealing with congestion at the
wrong layer, in naive ways, with the traditional lack of standards review and
source control, and that's given us our wonderfully insecure, spam-ridden
Internet.  What we have today is barely a networking existence proof, after
spending many millions of taxpayers' $, over about 30 years for certain
'researchers' and their grad students to write papers, convene around the
world and 'invent' rather than engineer protocols.  This is not meant as a
criticism of DCCP, TFRC, etc., just a commentary on the vast difference
between a subsidized, poorly-managed, self-involved, bureaucracy-stunted
Internet and something elegant, economical, efficient and worthy of general
pride, like Ethernet quickly became as has remained.  :]

The just out "E2E Vision" draft says this, perhaps inadvertently, by
suggesting that we need a "vision" for data communications for the next "10-15
years".  Well, yes, we needed it 10-15 years ago, when serious protocol R&D
was stopped -- without properly addressing 'minor' details, like congestion,
or even node addressing.  The Vision doc also exhibits the Internet
bureaucracy's traditional NIH approach, as in:

"The older members of the data communications research community spent some of
their formative years in the time when data communications was being
revolutionized by the creation of a new paradigm: packet switching. While
packet switching is now an accepted, indeed, lauded way to think about data
communications, into the early 1980s it was still a radical idea and into the
1990s required periodic justification."

leading newer readers to think the Internet folks invented packet switching.
This self-serving comment isn't even approrpiate in a "vision" document, but
it reflects the tradition of maintaining ignorance that any bureaucracy
depends on to avoid scrutiny.  After all, TCP/IP folks then apparently never
even knew what a MAC was, because the IMPs on their Unix boxes somehow used
phone lines to get to other IMPs on other Unix boxes.  They apparently didn't
even understand why they should have lauded things like Ethernet, Znet,
CromemcoNet, CorvusNet, XNS, SNA, yadda, yadda, which in the '70s depended not
on the public dole from DARPA, but real corporate investment in efficient
networking systems.  Though not being a great IBM fan, I do have to admit to
knowing no one who ever hacked an SNA network, but someone probably did
something, once, and it was likely harder that getting Sendmail to execute
remote code.

What a "Vision" doc could say, to be more trustable than a Carl Rove memo, is
maybe:  "Today's Internet has demonstrated that open, international network
communication, at will, is a realizable goal.  Unfortunately, lack of proper
engineering attention to certain areas has also exposed shortsightedness on
the part of its designers.  For example, a mistaken trust in human nature has
left our Internet and all its users exposed to extremely serious issues:
insecurity, denial of service, unwanted traffic, lack of efficiency, economic
barriers, all manner of traditional scams, and even heightened potential for
identity loss.  The vision for the Internet now should be to move beyond its
existence-proof phase and into the realm of a safe, reliable, economical and
responsible utility."

Anyway, it's interesting and encouraging that we at least have some folks
concerned about the future.  I hope rocking the boat is on their agenda.

Alex