[e2e] 911 and cell phones

Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Fri Apr 1 21:20:44 PST 2005

In fact, both infrastructure and end nodes know where the caller is.  Which is
where the trust & security of the wired POTS system originates -- the physical
line has a trusted, internal identifier no one but the telco ever knows, and
our cellphones each have unique identifiers we never see, but which the
services must know in order to locate us.  While we may think our phone
numbers are what identify us and our locations, they do not.  They're just
names on proprietary tables of unique internal system identifiers.

Alex