[e2e] very simple IP QoS for the bottleneck access link ? (was Skype and congestion collapse.)

Sireen Habib Malik s.malik at tuhh.de
Tue Apr 5 05:34:46 PDT 2005

Marc Herbert wrote:

>The implementation looks simple. The latency-sensitive application
>regularly sends to both access link halves (up- and down- stream) some
>way to identify their packets (for instance: dst UDP port 27015
>belongs to higher class). The access link implement strict priority
>for those latency-sensitive packets.  Elastic traffic takes the rest.
>Only two traffic classes, can be implemented cheaply by a DSLAM and by
>a consumer device. No complex configurations. For those customers who
>only have a poor USB DSL modem, this could be implemented in the PC
>itself.

Here is my understanding of how it is done today. End node marks Layer-2
CoS and/or Layer-3 DSCP fields of the IP/UDP/RTP/Voice packet.
Voice traffic is given the top priority and is sent into a Priority
Queue (PPQ). The low priority queue could be RED or Weighted-RED, WFQ, etc.

In order for this to work, the end must be in the "trust" region i.e
CoS/DSCP fields should not be reset by the downstream routers/switches
in the path.

The presence of the other, lower priority, queue adds to the
"variations" of the departing voice trafic from the PQ. Studies have
shown that packet delay for this type of queue can be well bounded with
M/D/1 delay + residual time of the lower priority packets.  It is to be
noted that if an MPLS type of tunnel is used for "voice only" then delay
is modeled with SUM(D) /D/1 type of system which has significantly lower
mean packet delay. So there are trade-offs.

Please note, QoS for VoIP is an "Mouth-To-Ear" issue so many other
factors get involved.
--
SM

--

Sireen Malik, M.Sc.
PhD. Candidate,

Communication Networks
Hamburg University of  Technology,
FSP 4-06 (room 3008)
Denickestr. 17
21073 Hamburg, Deutschland

Tel: +49 (40) 42-878-3387
Fax: +49 (40) 42-878-2941
E-Mail: s.malik at tuhh.de

--Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler (Albert Einstein)