[e2e] Question on MTU

Arjuna Sathiaseelan arjuna.sathiaseelan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 00:42:20 PDT 2005

Dear All,
  I would be very much obliged if you could let me know the following:

As MTU is the maximum amount of information per packet that can be
sent on the wire, does it include the MSS + TCP header + IP header +
DL header (with error correction codes) or is it just the MSS + TCP
header + IP header?

Because for the Ethernet - which has a MTU of 1500 bytes - we usually
have 1460 bytes as MSS + 20 bytes TCP header + 20 bytes IP header.
What about the header that would be added in link layer?

Please do clarify me.

Regds,
Arjuna